Chefany

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Holiday Baking Championship and how did this happen??

It's hard to believe I am on national television even when I see myself! It feels like it's someone else, someone I know really, really well. But it's me!
I auditioned on a whim. In March of this year, I got an email at work announcing that the Food Network wants students or instructors to audition for the show. I thought about it for a day or two, then on a whim, I decided to just go for it. I pulled out my phone put it on selfie video and walked around the school just ad-libbing as I went. It lasted about a minute and a half, then I filled out the application and sent it off. To my surprise, they called me 3 days later. I chatted with this gal answering questions, she said I may get a call in a few days asking for a Skype interview. I did, it was supposed to last 30 minutes but we talked for almost an hour. She seemed really excited to meet me telling me that I was just what they were looking for! I was cautiously excited. She said the next step was another Skype interview with the Producers of the show and that they will want to see something I baked. I should hear from them in about a week. At this point, I decided to tell my boss that this may happen and I would need some time off to shoot the show. She informed me, which I was well aware, that we didn't have anyone to teach my class because Kathy had just quit. I hoped they would figure something out so I could do this if the producers liked me. I waited. A week passed and I heard nothing. Okay, I say to myself, they found who they need and perhaps they will save my application for a future show. A couple of weeks later, on a Monday at 8 PM I get a call telling me they want to Skype on Wednesday morning at 9 AM and I am to have two christmas style pastries to show the producers. I explained that I work all day on Tuesday and there is no way I could have something at 9 AM since my class begins at 9. She said ok thats too bad, MAYBE I would get another call in a couple weeks. I got to work on Tuesday morning and thought to myself that I can not let this opportunity go by without a try! I called the gal back and told her I wanted to do the interview but could I do it later like during my lunch break at 12 and she said yes! So after class I threw together a cake with gingerbread cookies that looks like houses all around it and a Christmas croquembouche.

I contacted the IT guy at work who set me up in the dining room with natural lighting and the phone call happened. They had very little to say after I described my work. They said all there questions didn't apply to me because it was obvious I knew what I was doing. So this one was quick and they said I would hear from them one way or another in a few days. Well, many days went by and I am not hearing anything. My boss is asking me if this is going to happen since she needs to figure out what to do if I go. I have no answers. We are now well into April. I had asked the first Skype gal when the filming would be and she said May or June. There isn't much time left! Another week goes by and finally at 8 pm one night I get a call telling me, congratulations! I am in the final 15 and they need 11, 9 contestants and two alternates. So I pass on the information to my superiors with a sigh. I still do not have a final answer. They are getting irritated because they do not have anyone yet to cover for me. This is out of my control but if I do get chosen you bet I will go one way or another!
I get a call from a gal who asks for a long interview, again, I talk with her for two hours! Same questions with more detailed answers. At the end I ask her when I will know for sure whether or not I will be on the show and she hesitates, tells me it should be soon and then in confidence tells me how much they like me and I shouldn't be too worried about the answer. So now I am getting very excited, it's beginning to feel real now! They send my contracts I am to sign. It 's looking even better now but still no call telling me I am on the show! We are now into May. I get the call, I'm on the show! Filming will be the first two weeks of June. The school scrambles to find someone who flies out from the New York school to cover for me and I am off to New Orleans to film the show!
Since I have a series of stories to blog about I will keep writing and try to catch up with the shows so you can read the inside story of the shows after they air. I am sworn to secrecy as to what happens so don't even ask! LOL Be sure and tune in to Food Network 9 PM pst Monday nights. Then you can witness how far I go in the show!

10 comments:

Doug said...

Stephany--It's great to hear your story. Keep 'em coming.

Hopefully, we'll get a recipe or two from you at well.

Doug

Unknown said...

Steph, thank you so much for your blog. It will be so much fun to hear about the "behind the scenes" stories. You are such a natural on the show. You're engaging, entertaining and beyond all, extremely talented. I'm looking forward to the next chapter. Love always, Karyn

chefany said...

Thanks you guys! I will definitely keep them coming. Many local friends come to the food lounge to see me and hear the stories and it dawned on me that I have so many friends all over the place that would like to hear them too... what a great forum for sharing!

Alyson said...

Great blog, honey! You're a star!

Unknown said...

It’s fun to read how it all came about thank you for sharing looking forward to #3 show this Monday! Party at moms!

dyannne said...

Yes, keep posting. It is as Dea says fun to find out all the behind the scenes stuff about a TV show. And now we know that you are an ace at keeping a secret! Your creations are really beautiful! And you are a fun person so no wonder they picked you!

chefany said...

Thank you Ali!!

chefany said...

Thanks!!!

chefany said...

Yay!!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your blog - love to hear about how it all works!!! So happy for you Stephany!!! You deserve it girl!!!! You have worked so hard all your life!!! I'll tune in tomorrow eve again, can't wait to see what you conger up! ������
Chi-Cha