Chefany

Friday, April 8, 2022

 Who doesn't love a sticky bun?


I have a ton of funny stories and here is an old one from my bakery back in the 80s.

I made the best sticky buns in town. I had a problem though. The name. NO one wanted to say sticky bun! Sounded weird I suppose. Like a sticky butt. So I renamed them the German word Schnecken. Well, no one could pronounce that! I would get folks coming up to the counter asking for "those buns there" or "I want one of those buns with the nuts" or just pointing to the tray asking for "one of those". I thought it was hysterical. No one would say sticky buns... I changed it for the the third time calling them honey buns and then my customers thought I had a new recipe or something. I just couldn't win... 

But whatever you call them, they are delicious. I make an orange sweet yeasted dough. The filling consists of brown sugar and spices. Then you roll them up and place them on top of a nice thick layer of heated brown sugar, butter, honey and pecans. When you turn the pan over while hot the sugar goo pours over the sides making a sticky, gooey, crunchy, wonderfully sweet and spicy sticky bun! 

When I teach these decadent breakfast treats and I take them out of the oven, I must quickly turn the pans over to release the hot sugary sauce. The students gather around the table to watch and when they see the hot melted sugar create the glaze over the swirled dough, they gasp, cheer, oo and ah, and I have to cut one up immediately for them to taste. 

This is the reason I love to teach baking.



2 comments:

Doug said...

Pretty funny--I have a somewhat similar story. When we used to do backstage catering, one of the fliers requested "sticky buns." It was a band touring from England. Sooooo, I made a recipe much like your's--Turns out in England, "sticky buns" refer to ALL of the pastries served for breakfast (cinnamon rolls, bear claws, muffins, etc.). Their tour manager was pissed and wasn't appeased at all by my explanation.

cml said...

Drop the "buns" and just call them "Stickies!"