Chefany

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

decorating class

I had three gals from the school I teach at come over to my house for some extra instruction on wedding cakes. It was mostly a dishing session but I was able to get their attention and show them many techniques they could use on their wedding cakes... We covered the cake in fondant, made fondant drapes, fondant bows and ribbons and fondant roses both realistic and whimsy style. Then we moved to royal icing and I taught them how to make the three dimensional decorations as well as the flow method of making designs. Next we worked with gum paste and made roses, and small filler flowers as well as leaves. They were very interested in how to use the wire with the gum paste but no one ever realizes how much time it takes to make these little buggers! So we all made rose buds with about 9 petals. 
All in all it was a fun day and they walked away feeling far more educated and ready to make their cakes successfully... 

No comments: