My class has been in the pie section for the last few weeks and I had no idea how fun this section would be. They get so excited by making a traditional pie such as a double crusted apple pie or the lemon custard tart... and last week we made the peach sourcream pie, cherry clafoutis and a lattice topped cherry pie...all adored!
Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
1 T. or 3 sheets gelatin (bloom in 3x the water or soak sheets until soft)
½ cup brown sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. ginger
1 ¼ cup canned pumpkin
2 egg yolks
1 ¼ cup evaporated milk
- Place all of the above ingredients into the top of a bain marie or double boiler and cook about 10 minutes until it mounds on a spoon or holds a ribbon.
- Take off heat and add softened gelatin stirring until dissolved.
- Cool pumpkin mixture.
2 egg whites
¼ cup sugar
- On an electric mixer whip the egg whites until foam begins to form and then slowly pour in the sugar.
- Whip until stiff peaks form being careful not to over whip to dry peaks.
- Fold whites into the cooled pumpkin mixture and pour into prepared and pre-baked pie crust.
- Let set up in refrigerator for at least an hour and then ice with sweetened whipped cream.